Things to Consider When Purchasing Error Coins
Collecting error coins is very popular in Australia. There’s a number of reasons for this, primarily it’s perceived lack of supply, the interesting nature of error coins, and because collectors are seeking positive financial returns from their collections. If you’re looking at error coins for sale there are a number of things to consider before purchasing. These include:
- Purchase from a well known error coin dealer or a well known error collector. It is too easy to purchase damaged or fabricated error coins from unknown sellers online and be stuck with a valueless coin and an expensive lesson.
- As with most coin collecting if you’re looking at error coins for sale then consider purchasing the best grade errors you can afford. This means (if possible) avoiding damaged coins, cleaned coins, or low grade error coins.
- Purchase scarcity. Very unusual errors are always going to be desirable, common errors wax and wane in popularity.
- Purchase for the long term. In today’s social media age ‘long term’ is a few weeks, but in reality, you’re more likely to see positive returns on quality error coins over several years.
- Don’t pay a premium for error coins that are hard to understand or explain. This will make the coin more difficult to move on when you decide to sell it.
Australian Decimal Error Coins for Sale
Typically the most desirable Australian decimal errors are on the larger coins (fifty and twenty cents) and errors that are obvious such as brockages, off-centre strikes, and wrong planchet errors. We have an extensive range of affordable Australian decimal error coins for sale. New items are being added all the time and can be found on our newly listed coin page.
Australian Pre-Decimal Error Coins for Sale
Typically the most desirable Australian pre-decimal errors those are those of the best grade and the most significant error types. Popular error types include brockages, off-centre errors, broadstrikes, and clipped planchets. We have a wide range of excellent Australian pre-decimal error coins for sale. New pre-decimal error coins for sale are being added all the time and can be found on our newly listed coin page.
Where can I learn more about error coins?
If you’re looking to learn more about Australia and World Error Coins head over to the Australian Coin Collecting Blog and read the entry about coin errors and mis-strikes.