If you are thinking of selling some coins or have some old coins to sell then we are always buying. If you’re in the Adelaide area or visiting and have coins for sale then we’d love to meet with you. Call us on 0422 977 753 or come into our shop when we are open. You can view our location and opening hours here.
Paying cash for old Australian coins, gold coins, silver coins, pre-decimal coins, world coins, rare coins, slabbed coins (for example PCGS and NGC), coin errors and varieties (our specialty), Royal Australian Mint products, Perth Mint products and Ephemera. Contact Us, we’re a friendly, honest coin dealer in Adelaide.
See Our Reviews on Google (4.9 stars from 88 reviews)
The Purple Penny
Shop 2/2-4 Hurtle Parade, Mawson Lakes
4.9 88 reviews
- Richard Overton ★★★★★ 2 weeks agoFast Friendly Service, Unique Items, and Great Prices, Better than Competitive! Best of All Local State Based and Findable easy Contactable. Could View Items if required before Purchase, So Important! in this Internet Transaction World. … More Im a Fan. Rate 10+ on My Scale!
- Rob Colborne ★★★★★ a month agoI’ve recently had a number of dealings with The Purple Penny. They’ve all been very positive.
It’s rare to find a coin dealer that is actually forthcoming with their knowledge and open and honest. The people at The Purple Penny have … More always given me their best advice even if it could potentially cost them a sale.
This is tremendously rare in numismatics circles and it hasn’t gone unnoticed by me. They have a vast knowledge of numismatics and a true love of it. I have nothing but positive things to say about them and wish them every success in the future. I will no doubt be back very soon to buy more products from them. ,
- Rashan O'Donnell ★☆☆☆☆ a month agoI can't tell you anything about their service because the man on the phone was not there when I arrived. His wife was there & informed me that she couldn't value my notes because her husband was not there. I felt like she … More was quite rude. I thought it was very bad customer service because I drove all the way from Adelaide city to get some notes valued.
The man there did aggressively told me that they were only open until 4. I arrived at 3.35. He did not say that he wouldn't be there. He was very rude.
In comparison to I.S. Wright in Adelaide Arcade, I walked in with the notes, they were friendly and were able to value the notes within 2 minutes.
I will not be going back to The Purple Penny again. I urge you to do the same.
Response to owner's answer: OK fair enough about having to pick up your kids from school, but it doesn't take much to be friendly which is 50% of good customer service.
- Greg Flavel ★★★★★ 2 months agoKathryn and Mark run a fabulous family owned business selling coins and collectables
ranging from centuries old right through to the latest Mint releases. Together they have an outstanding knowledge which they are keen to share and i look … More forward to the show and tell and chats on my visits.
If you want quality affordable items, shop front parking and friendly service go to the Purple Penny.
I'll be back, again and again.
- Ross Gowland ★★★★★ 2 months agoGreat service every time. Mark and Kathryn are knowledgeable and friendly. They always have a great variety of coins to purchase, and prices are fair. Always want to purchase more than I can. Look forward to dealing with ‘The Purple Penny’ … More in the future!
- Allan Northcott ★★★★★ 3 months agoMark and Kathryn are very friendly and knowledgeable a pleasure to deal with. Both of them help and encourage the casual or serious collector with a wide knowledge of coins , banknotes and other paraphernalia.
I highly recommend them to … More all.
- Bevan Clifford ★★★★★ 3 months agoFantastic shop with a extensive range all at very reasonable prices.
The owners are great people & very easy to deal with. Always willing to help and give great advice.
- Karen O'Callaghan ★★★★★ 3 months agoHighly recommend 'The Purple Penny' an absolutely fantastic business!! Both Mark and Kathryn are knowledgeable, honest, friendly and extremely helpful every time we come into the shop. Thank you to you both 🙂
- Mr McGregor ★★★★★ 5 months agoVery decent people, helpful, knowledgeable and fair. We would highly recommend The Purple Penny.
- paul ali ★★★★★ 7 months agoFriendly service and glad to catch up with owners as I had met them few years back highly recommend
- Lee Walker ★★★★★ 8 months agoPlaced an order with The Purple Penny. Found they acted very quickly to my requirements and was delivered to Melbourne in a very timely manor. Recommended.
- abhorrent behemoth ★★★★★ 8 months agoNice new shop with lots of Australian decimal and pre decimal coins and banknotes including new release R.A.M issues also some high grade World coins and many accessories , husband and wife team owners very nice and friendly people , highly … More recommend.
- J Ng ★★★★★ 11 months agoThe Purple Penny provides phenomenal customer service, fast postage with excellent packaging and easy communication. Not only that but they offer excellent prices on their items. Could not recommend a better coin shop. Items always arrive … More as described and the team are more than happy to answer any questions and provide help. A real family feel.